Oh my goodness, I can’t believe another year is almost done!! This year has flashed by, but I am so glad that I’ve had the privilege of living in Japan and starting my own blog. Though it’s only been about four-and-a-half months or so, The Japan Guy has been an great outlet for me. When I feel like I don’t have many people to hang out with, or if I want to get something off my chest…I blog about it, or if I want to learn something new…blogging helps me to do that. It’s been a great year.
I want to give my personal shout outs to Ryan McGuiness, Josh Kramer, Amanda, Roger Starkey, and Ricardo because you have been some of my first “real posters” during these initial months. I often get spam comments and thing, but I’m so happy that there are people out there that find some kind of value in what I’m saying. THANK YOU GUYS!!
Next year, I have some major plans for thejapanguy.com…REALLY BIG!! I won’t go into any of the details yet (it would ruin the surprise), but please know that I’ve been doing some major plotting to make this site even more useful, more entertaining, and more informative.
I appreciate all of you who read this blog much more than you know (whether you post or not). You read my articles, listen to my gripes, watch my videos, and make this blog what it is.
So to end the year, I wanted to give you a list of my Five Favorite Posts this year and My Five Favorite Videos:
(not in any particular order)
1. Steep Opportunity Costs– I had a pretty big dilemma to figure out, and it’s still ongoing…but I enjoyed hearing feedback from some of my readers about a tough situation.
2. The Japan Guy Takes Some Questions– This was the first time anyone had ever asked to interview me, and I really enjoyed doing it! Plus Josh Kramer seemed like a nice guy…so I was happy to oblige.
3. Beating the Living Abroad Blues– I liked making these articles because I got to practice using audio, pictures, and writing, to convey a message.
4. Official Welcome– The post that started it all. This post is really short compared to some of my other posts, but it was my first japanguy.com post. I knew nothing about wordpress, adding video to blogs…none of that…I just told myself “I’m gonna start and figure out the rest later.”
5. Summer Sonic 2010– Truth be told, this is the first concert I had ever been to…in my life!! I was elated to see Stevie Wonder and A Tribe Called Quest. I was so grateful to my coworkers for buying me the tickets for my birthday. For that one day, I felt like a little bit of home came to Japan just for me.
(also not in any particular order)
1. A Tokyo Disney Halloween– It wasn’t my first time going to Tokyo Disney, but it was my first time going on Halloween. The sky was overcast, it rained a bit, and it didn’t even matter…I had the best time!! Plus, Kana, my “Disney Guide” was so much fun to hang out with.
2. Handstands in Kansai– This was my first time to Kyoto, and I made the most of it. I had never met these kids before, but they were incredibly friendly…AMAZING!!
3. Matsuri Tsukuba (from Tsukuba’s Summer Festival)- I’d been trying to get pictures of the “steaming dragon” float since I came to Tsukuba, and I finally got some good footage. Plus the Summer festival was just a good time.
4. Natto Revisited– I love making silly videos, so this video gave me a chance not only to show what natto is, but to let you see a bit of my sense of humor 🙂
5. Kyokushin Tournament: Oyama City– The karate students made me feel like family even though I wasn’t fighting.
Whether it’s an educational, serious, or lighthearted topic, I enjoy making these articles, and I will continue to do so.
In my efforts to give you more of what you want and need, I wanted to hear from you, too. Did you have a favorite post or video on thejapanguy.com? If so, which one did you like? Why?
Here’s to an awesome 2011!!