It’s another rainy day here in Japan. It’s not really one of those rainy days that gets you down, it’s just one of those chill in the house and relax type of rainy days. For some reason, today, I was looking out the window trying to think of all the Japanese weather words I know, and instead of just sitting and thinking about them, I figured “Why not write a post about it?” Lately I’ve been really interested in trying to make some noticeable changes in how well I am able to express exactly what I’m thinking. I think part of being able to do that is having a strong command of the basics, the foundational Japanese. So I’m trying to take some time to go back and hit some of the old grammar concepts and vocab. I think weather is definitely one of the important basics. Here we go:
*Tenki-The Japanese word for weather.*
1. Sunny– Hare (はれ or 晴れ)
2. Rainy– Amefuri (あめふり or 雨降り)
3. Cloudy– Kumori (くもり or 曇り)
4. Overcast– Amagumori (あまぐもり or 雨曇り)
5. Windy– Kaze (かぜ or 風)
6. Hot– Atsui(あつい or 暑い) Just remember that the kaji used for hot (weather) and hot (objects) are different.
7. Cold– Samui (さむい or 寒い)
8. Cool– Suzushi (すずしい or 涼しい)
9. Humid– Jimejime (じめじめ)
10. Dry– Hideri (ひでり or 日照り)
11. Rain– Ame (あめ or 雨)
12. Downpour– Za-Za- (ざーざー)
13. Drizzle– Konukame (こぬかめ or 小糠雨)
14. Sleet– Mizore (みぞれ or 霙)
15. Ice & Snow– Hyousetsu (ひょうせつ or 氷雪)
16. Thunderstorm-Raiu (らいう or 雷雨)
17. Thunder– Kaminari (かみなり or 雷) Generally this word is used to refer to both thunder and lightning.
18. Lightning– Inazuma (いざぬま or 稲妻) Refers to a flash of lightning, but kaminari is the more common term I think.
19. Temperature– Kion (きおん or 気温)
20. Typhoon– Taifu (たいふ or 台風) This term can be used for both typhoons and hurricanes.
21. Tornado– Tatsumaki- (たつまき or 竜巻) Just think Street Fighter 2, Ryu and Ken 🙂
22. Accumulate– Tsumoru- (つもる or 積もるYou can use this when you talk about snow accumulating on the ground.
23. Precipitation or Rainfall-Kosui (こうすい or 降水)
24. Flood– Kosui (こうすい or 洪水) Same word but different kanji. Japanese is like that sometimes.
25.Rainbow– Niji. (にじ or 虹)
Let’s do a quick brush up on the four season names, too, because they’re pretty important and they’re related.
Winter– Fuyu (ふゆ or 冬)
Spring-Haru (はる or 春)
Summer-Natsu (なつ or 夏)
Fall-Aki (あき or 秋)
If you have any other you’d like to add, please feel to post away in the comments section below. Thanks for reading and I hope these words help.